Oct 15th to 21st , 2012
Sun in Libra, Full Moon
Moon in Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn
I've been reading a lot of tarot lately. I've actually alternated between doing readings on their own and as part of my daily practice (before meditation) and it's been pretty amazing.
I've been thinking a lot actually about decks and the readings they give us and I've come to the conclusion that I'm starting to really love my Thoth deck. Before the Thoth deck I used the Haindl tarot, which I loved for years and years.
Bear with me here while I sort out my thoughts on this.
- Originally the Haindl deck totally overwhelmed me because it works with IChing, Qabala, runes and various myths. But I loved that the deck was very multicultural and worked world myth into the interpretations.
- But I was a surface tarot reader, relying heavily on the books to make my connections, not really that well versed in any of the systems so it was a bit daunting at times. That said, I loved this deck and it guided me through some really important years in my life. And the book interpretations (Rachel Pollack) added a depth to the cards that I didn't find in my of the Rider Waite books.
- I would highly recommend this deck to anyone. The only reason I moved away from it was because some of my cards decided to go missing.
- When I switched to the Thoth deck I purchased Crowley's book and was TOTALLY confused by it initially. Then I bought Ziegler's book and found the transition smoother because the interpretations were more aligned with what I'd had in my previous books/deck
- Since I purchased this deck, I started working with the Qabala as a system for understanding spiritual work and BAM people, what a change it has made in terms of understanding the tarot.
- Now I don't even approach how I read the cards/ask the cards the same way. I'm looking for very different things and honestly, my readings have been consistently WAY more accurate. They tended to be good before, but now they are much stronger and clearer in ways I wasn't linking/understanding. I suspect they were always accurate but that my reading/interpretation of the cards was more muddled.
- I cannot begin to express enough how much I think that anyone who is interested in the tarot should learn the Qabalistic Tree of Life and the paths on it. Seriously
- amazing tool in terms of tarot work.
Creating, Planning, Trying:
I've been working on my Tree of Life art journal pages. I shared the WIP last week and will share another finished page later this week. I'm enjoying the process and am thinking of extending it beyond the 10 sephira into an exploration of the tarot on the 22 paths.
Other than that it's the regular Project Life stuff. I am seriously debating sharing that here but I haven't made a final decision yet. There are pros and cons to transparency and disclosure, you know? And I'd have to made fairly concerted efforts to hide a fair amount of my pages because of friends and family in pictures... Gah, when did life get so complicated?
Viewing, Reading, Listening:
Viewing: Haven, Grimm, Once Upon a Time. Yes, there is a trend in my TV viewing.
Reading: The Ending of the Words which explores Crowley's Book of the Law. I have mixed feelings about Crowley. I like a lot of his work but I'm not entirely convinced. This book attempts to analyze and extract the meanings from Crowley's work. In some ways this is really helpful because the original text is complex and very dense in symbols/references. On the other hand, the Ending of the Words is often more convoluted and complex than it needs to be, heavily loaded with scientific and Christian overlays that are either unnecessary or at odds with my Wiccan worldview. I'm not particularly comfortable with the very western, whitewashed worldview of the text, but that said, it is an interesting way of seeing the Bible more allegorically and mystically.
Listening: Deep Forest.
Listening: Deep Forest.
Thinking, Realizing, Feeling:
Bwah! I have no idea what I'm thinking these days. Ok, that's not true. I know what I'm thinking but it's complicated. I'm thinking a lot. And realizing and feeling... but I'm going to save it for another day! This post is long enough people!